VA AWWA is pleased to provide the following listing of employment opportunities in Virginia. To search for national or international opportunities, please visit the AWWA Career Center.
Do you have a position available? Submit your position today!
The City of Norfolk's Department of Utilities is seeking qualified candidates for a Civil Engineer IV in our Engineering Division. The Civil Engineer IV performs engineering and project management of municipal infrastructure projects. The work involves coordinating the design and construction of utilities-related capital improvement projects. The Civil Engineer IV directly supervises more junior engineers.
$35,477 / year or higher DOQ + Full-Time County Benefits
The James City Service Authority seeks individuals to perform experienced work operating, maintaining, and repairing the JCSA’s Reverse Osmosis Water Treatment Plant (RO Plant) including related mechanical equipment.
Responsibilities: Operate, maintain, and repair mechanical and electrical systems at the RO Plant; diagnose operational and mechanical problems. Calculate chemical doses for water treatment; operate and maintain chemical feed equipment. Collect water samples as required by regulatory agencies including assorted chlorine residual, chemical and bacteriological samples as needed; follow up and coordinate with lab on test results. Operate and control water production facilities, booster stations and elevated tanks throughout the distribution system via SCADA system to meet water demands. Ensure efficient operation of the RO Plant; maintain established water quality standards by monitoring well operations; adjusting chemical treatment processes, adjusting pumping rates to maintain proper mix ratios between the upper and lower Potomac aquifers; performing administrative work maintaining RO Plant specific inventory; ordering items as necessary; initiating work orders, etc.
Requirements: Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; experience in water treatment and the
, maintenance, and repair of related equipment; valid Class 4 or higher Waterworks Operator's License preferred. Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria. Must have the ability and tolerance to function in an environment that requires the use of respiratory protection devices. Knowledge of mechanical maintenance, plumbing, and basic electrical work; water chemistry, sampling, and test techniques involved in determining conductivity, chlorine residual, turbidity, PH, alkalinity, and other similar tests; principles and processes for providing customer service.
Accepting applications until position is filled. Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov/applications/externalapplicants/login/default.aspx
Company Introduction: The Virginia Department of Health, Office of Drinking Water is committed to protecting public health by ensuring that all people in Virginia have access to adequate supply of affordable, safe drinking water.
City/State: Richmond, Virginia
Title: Environmental Health Director – Office of Drinking Water
Position # 03976
Job Position Posting: 1022470 – General Public - Open Until Filled
Hiring Range: $105,794 to $125,000
Job Description: The Virginia Department of Health (VDH), Office of Drinking Water (ODW), is seeking a Chief Engineer and Engineering Advisor to the State Health Commissioner, through the Chief Deputy Commissioner for Public Health and Preparedness. This position will function as the ODW Director on all matters involving drinking water throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia. The position is based in the Central (Richmond City) Office. This position directs and manages five field offices. Duties include establishing office policy and procedures, allocating resources and evaluating operations. This position oversees a staff of 115 and a budget of over $35 million in federal, state and special funds. This position is responsible for all engineering activities of ODW to assure mitigation of drinking water problems and coordinates program activities for the purpose of implementing the state’s Public Water Supply Law and the federal Safe Drinking Water Act, including the Drinking Water State Revolving Fund (DWSRF).
Knowledge of drinking water aspects of engineering; program management; experience supervising and managing staff; experience developing, monitoring and managing budgets; experience with the state legislative process and regulatory and legal processes as they relate to safe drinking water; knowledge of state and federal laws and regulations pertaining to safe drinking water; ability to effectively provide engineering and technical guidance; demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in writing and orally; effective interpersonal skills with groups and individuals of all professional levels and backgrounds. Bachelor of Science in Civil/Sanitary/Environmental Health or relevant engineering degree or equivalent training and experience is required.
Master of Science in Civil/Sanitary/Environmental/Public Health or relevant engineering degree or equivalent training & experience preferred. Licensed as a Professional Engineer in Virginia is preferred.
Employment is contingent upon satisfactory results of a state and federal criminal history background check and the Department of Social Service’s Child Abuse and Neglect Central Registry check. U.S. HHS IG Exclusion List check, employment reference check and E-Verify. The selected candidate must complete a Statement of Personal Economic Interests as a condition of employment, if applicable (VA Code §2.2-3114). Other financial, credit, driving, or other background checks prior to employment may be required for certain positions.
VDH only accepts on-line applications. Mailed, e-mailed, or faxed copies will not be accepted. A state application must be completed entirely including salary history, education and employment history (applications with “see resume” responses will be considered incomplete) and submitted electronically. Cover letter is required. Resumes are optional and may be submitted as supplemental to the state application, but will NOT be used for initial screening purposes or to replace information required on the state application. Equal Opportunity Employer. Link to the online application: https://virginiajobs.peopleadmin.com/postings/70671.
The City of Norfolk's Department of Utilities is seeking qualified candidates for a Civil Engineer V in our Engineering Division. The Civil Engineer V assists in planning, implementing, and directing the engineering, planning, design, construction, and administrative functions of the Utilities' Engineering Division.
Essential functions include but are not limited to:
- Assists the Engineering Manager in planning, implementing, and directing the engineering, planning, design, construction, and administrative functions of the Utilities' Engineering Division.
- Facilitates the completion of the Division's objectives by developing strategic plans, processes, and performance measures that relate to overall objectives.
- Manages projects by designing, scheduling and budgeting processes, preparing requests for proposals, managing design contract to produce plans and specifications, reviewing project milestones, reviewing plans, providing technical assistance, providing construction oversight, preparing design revisions, and reviewing and commenting on site plans submitted for approval.
- Performs administrative duties by supervising staff, assigning tasks, assisting in project management, and evaluating, developing and disciplining employees.
- Requires ability to perform highly complex technical analysis and engineering calculations.
- Coordinates activities by acting as a liaison between departments and other divisions to complete projects and division or departmental initiatives.
- Interacts with citizens, civic organizations, officials, contractors, employees, and customers at all levels.
- Must possess knowledge of engineering and construction principles, practices, and procedures, as applied to a variety of projects.
- Must be able to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing, to audiences ranging from Norfolk residents to engineering professionals to elected representatives.
- Must be able to stand on rough terrain for extended periods, climb up and down ladders and stairways, bend/stoop to inspect processes or materials, and move safely around construction sites for buildings, roadways, and waterfront facilities.
Work requires specialized knowledge in a professional or technical field. Work requires professional level of knowledge of a discipline equivalent to that which is acquired in a Master's degree-level of study.
Five years' experience as an Engineer
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION & REQUIREMENTS
Valid Driver's License, Professional Engineer's License (P.E.)
Work Hours: Monday Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Work Location: 401 Monticello, 2nd Floor, Norfolk, VA 23510
Public Utilities Department. Full-time position with benefits. Preferred hiring range: $54,891.20 - $63,128.00. Position performs difficult skilled technical and professional work involved with the review, design, construction, inspection and maintenance of public utilities facilities, including administering engineering inspection programs, preparing and monitoring division budget and preparing a variety of technical reports and giving presentations of reports. Plans, organizes and directs the design and construction of capital improvements; ensures compliance with City land development; coordinates work with other agencies and departments. Serves as project design/inspection engineer and manager of engineering and construction related projects; participates in the design of engineering projects; inspects projects for conformance to construction plans and specifications. Designs and prepares specifications, schedules and cost estimates for projects; processes monthly pay estimates; administers design and construction contracts; assists in preparation of materials, figures costs and total project bid costs. Provides contractors and general public with technical information relating to engineering projects; makes adjustments to solve construction and material difficulties; oversees the review and approval of subdivision and site work by private parties. Supervises and directs subordinate personnel in the preparation of design criteria, designs, analysis, specifications, plans, inspections, cost estimates, tabulations of contract bids, contract payments and related matters; Assigns tasks; evaluates performance of employees; establishes schedules, reviews the work of subordinate staff.
Position requires thorough knowledge of the theory, principles and practices of civil engineering as applied to the development and construction of public utilities projects; knowledge of principles, practices and techniques of engineering drafting; skill in the use of civil engineering instruments and equipment; ability to plan, lay out and direct the work of others; ability to plan projects and prepare related designs, estimates and specifications; ability to perform difficult engineering computations and to make comprehensive recommendations on engineering problems.
Physical Requirements: This is light work requiring the exertion of 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, and feeling; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, hazards, and atmospheric conditions.
Minimum Requirements: Bachelor's degree with coursework in civil engineering, environmental science, or a related field and considerable experience in professional civil engineering work with some supervisory experience preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Certification in Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) required within one year of placement in position. Valid registration as a Professional Engineer in the Commonwealth of Virginia is preferred. Valid driver's license, required.
Successful applicants for this position will be subject to a DMV Motor Vehicle check and must complete a satisfactory drug screening and criminal background check.
To Apply: All candidates must complete a City of Harrisonburg online employment application (https://www.harrisonburgva.gov/employment) in order to be considered. The position may close at any time after 10 calendar days. (posted on the City's website on 08/16/2017)
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment withou
Responsible for the operations, maintenance, and quality management of the Foundation’s water systems. Ensures compliance with relevant Federal, State, County and other regulations applicable to a large-scale drinking water and sewage distribution system. Provides maintenance and repairs of plumbing and utility systems within all Foundation facilities and infrastructure. Provides management and oversight of service contracts associated with the water, sewer and fire protection systems.
- Operate, set up, repair and troubleshoot electrical systems, pumping equipment, motors, power systems.
- Perform preventive maintenance, repair and troubleshoot on electrical motors, electrical control panels, and pump controllers.
- Prepare, track and maintain records of all issues, warranties, maintenance, repairs and upgrades.
- Review related construction plans and provide technical support to the Facilities department and construction inspection staff and vendors when needed.
- Under the direction of the Buildings Superintendent, develop and maintain effective, efficient working relationships with County inspectors and contractors, suppliers and consultants.
- Develop and implement preventative maintenance schedules and standards.
- Provide oversight over all fire protection systems to include both Hi Fog Mist system by Marioff and traditional dry pipe and wet pipe systems. Serve as the contract inspector for all service contracts responsible for the maintenance of those systems.
- Serve as a first responder for pump station outages, assess cause of problem and develop a response/repair course of action to reestablish utility services.
- Additional duties may be assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must have knowledge of Control and Data Acquisition telemetry systems, Human-Machine Interfaces and Programmable Logic Controllers and instrumentation.
- Must have knowledge of Safety Data Sheets (OSHA SDS).
- Safe driving record (verifiable)
- Exemplary guest service skills
- Ability to interact with diverse populations
- Basic knowledge of tourism industry and local attractions
- Basic knowledge of Jefferson and Monticello
Physical Demands and Work Considerations
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule; weekend work required, including holidays.
- Evening and after hours required for off- hours emergency response and service contract execution.
- On-call duties.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lb. unassisted.
High school diploma or GED equivalency required. An AA degree or vocational certification or coursework in instrumentation, electrical, or industrial trades is preferred. 8-10 years of utility craftsman experience in either water distribution or plumbing systems required.
To apply, please visit our career site at: https://monticello.applicantpro.com/jobs/619957.html
AMERICAN Flow Control, a division of the AMERICAN Cast Iron Pipe Company, is searching for a highly motivated and team oriented individual to generate new business and maintain existing accounts by marketing our gate valves, fire hydrants and other fire protection industry products to various industrial plants, manufacturing facilities and engineering design firms across the country. The candidate will have the opportunity to work with an established distributor network. Our sales positions can involve significant amounts of travel in assigned territory and potential relocation to that territory.
AMERICAN sales representatives are responsible for managing their territory in all aspects of the sales function. This includes personal appearance to present a professional image. Time management to efficiently cover their territory. Schedule their sales activities to cover their territory effectively and judiciously. Maintain an organized office environment. Coordinate and provide required information to corporate sales administrators.
This person will be working the central and eastern area of Virginia, the panhandle of West Virginia, all of Maryland and all of Delaware.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Establishes and develops contacts with key decision makers at municipalities, engineering firms, water and sewer authorities, and distributors.
- Promotes all products in AFC's product line.
- Develops and maintains relationships with key individuals who can influence the purchasing or approving of our products.
- Works with distributors to develop a team concept between distributor and AFC.
- Maintains knowledge of sales territory and keeps management informed of market activity.
- Resolves product complaints and performs repair work in the field.
- Maintains accurate records and furnishes call reports, itineraries, expense reports, sales letters, and other correspondence to Division/Assistant Area Manager at required times.
- Provides customer service by checking orders, expediting shipments, providing special pricing when necessary, providing literature, and reviewing specs to our customers.
- Maintains company equipment and image.
- Must possess a B. S. or B.A. Degree with technical related experience from an accredited four year college or university. Proof of transcript is required.
- Must exhibit the ability to learn. Weight will be given to grades, Sales courses and work experience.
- Must exhibit punctuality and good attendance.
- Must be physically able to perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Must possess a valid driver's license.
- Must exhibit good oral and written communication skills.
- Must be able to read and interpret specifications for projects involving our products.
- Must be subject to transfer within the continental United States.
- Must exhibit the knowledge, skills, and ability to perform the job duties.
- Subject to departmental transfer to other salesman positions within the Sales Division (ADIP, AFC, Steel Pipe, International Sales, etc.)
- Must exhibit the ability to work with confidential information and maintain confidentiality.
- Must exhibit a working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation software such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Must be able to work overtime on weekdays and/or weekends as required to fulfill job dutie
Essential Physical Functions:
- Sitting at a desk, in car, and occasionally on plane.
- Standing and walking on various surfaces, some uneven depending on job site.
- Climbing stairs, ladders, and balancing required, depending on job site.
- Stooping, kneeling, and crouching required, depending on job site.
- Crawling required to check joint separation, quality, etc.
- Overhead reach required depending on job site.
- Forward reach required for desk activities and at job site, depending on each assignment.
- Bended reach required for filing and some activities at job site.
- Handling required for phone use, files, carrying briefcase, positioning equipment, etc.
- Use of fingers required to use tools, scales, digital phone, writing, leafing through sales brochures, etc.
- Feeling required to check for quality, pipe cracks, temperature (gasket problems), etc.
- Talking essential for phone, person to person with engineers and customers, giving and receiving instruction, pricing, etc.
- Vision required to ensure quality, check blueprints, etc.
- Hearing required for quality and safety.
- Lifting required for valve and hydrant parts, fittings, and product demo equipment that can weigh up to 80 pounds.
- Carrying files, briefcase, plans, specifications, calculators, sales brochures, binders, up to 25 pound maximum.
- Pushing and pulling drawers, doors, equipment, up to a maximum of 25 pound force.
Loudoun Water, located in Ashburn VA is a public utility that provides water and wastewater service to customers in Loudoun County. We offer highly competitive salaries, a stable work environment and excellent employee benefits.
We are seeking an Infiltration and Inflow Technician who will assist in ensuring Loudoun Water’s sanitary sewer collection systems are properly maintained and operational by using CCTV equipment. The individual will also inspect and repair sanitary sewer collection systems, manholes for new and existing construction to identify infiltration and inflow, debris, blockages and structural defects and to ensure Loudoun Water’s standards and specifications are followed.
Requirements: Graduation from high school. Be available to work “on call” status, Work overtime as required to carry out job responsibilities and duties.
Apply online at www.loudounwater.org or send completed applications to Loudoun Water, HR Department, P.O Box 4000, Ashburn, VA 20146 or by fax to 571.223.2079. Salary DOQ. Position will remain open until filled. EOE
Requires any combination of education (above the high school level) and/or experience equivalent to nine (9) years in progressively responsible positions in the fields of business administration, finance or accounting, utilizing the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
The Finance Officer provides all aspects of financial oversight for the billing and collecting of $195 million annually in customer fees and charges; prepares detailed financial reports for all aspects of the water and sewer enterprise fund; administers the Public Utilities operating budget and capital improvement program expenditures; ensures compliance with all aspects of the Master Bond Resolution; provides oversight of the general ledger interface to the billing system (135,000 accounts) and the corresponding accounts receivables; coordinates utility revenue bond sales and debt administration; provides analytical and strategic planning support to the utility; and provides managerial oversight of five direct reports who perform duties in support of functions including accounting, accounts payable, payroll, billing, line fees, and cashiering.
This position reports to the Public Utilities Business Division Manager, but frequently answers directly to the Director of Public Utilities. During critical times such as bond sales and budget hearings, the individual in this position may be required to attend meetings with City Council and city leaders to answer questions on behalf of the department. The selected individual will maintain a close working relationship with the City Attorney’s Office, Finance Department, Budget/Management Services Department, Human Services Department, as well as Public Works related to billing and revenue collection.
Applicant’s past work experience should demonstrate knowledge of enterprise accounting and public administration; knowledge of the function and organization of a municipal water and sewer operation; knowledge of municipal bonded debt administration; skill in reviewing and interpreting financial records; skill in preparing detailed financial reports; skill in administering financial policy in accordance with ordinances; skill in effective interpersonal relationships, customer relations, and supervision; the ability to prepare and present detailed financial records and technical reports; the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; and the ability to effectively communicate in public.
Experience managing the financial aspects of a medium to large water utility; experience with municipal finance, capital planning, and utility operating budgets; experience with strategic planning, process improvement, and data analysis; experience with interpretation and implementation of municipal policy or code and corresponding monitoring for compliance; experience supervising professional and clerical staff; experience presenting to executive leadership; Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance; Master’s degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, or similar. Three (3) years with a municipality and/or utility in a finance or budget related role.
Documents which can/must be associated with this posting: Resume must accompany the application. Resumes are optional.
Special Instructions to Applicants: This position is designated Alpha I, requiring the employee to work during inclement weather regardless of the City's operational condition.
Online Applications can be found at the following address:
In Person: City of Virginia Beach Human Resources Department, 2424 Courthouse Drive, Bldg. 18, Virginia Beach, VA.
Rivanna Water and Sewer Authority is looking for a Civil Engineer or Senior Civil Engineer. Successful candidates will be able to perform responsible engineering, technical, and administrative work related to planning, design, construction and inspection of water and wastewater facilities. Also assists in operational activities such as Miss Utility marking, line maintenance, mapping and GIS development. Project management experience is a plus. Considerable experience in engineering work is required and utility work is preferred. Position requires a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in civil or environmental engineering, an Engineer-In-Training from the Commonwealth of Virginia, and a valid driver’s license.
A Professional Engineer license is preferred. This position reports to the Director of Engineering & Maintenance..
Open until November 26, 2017
Pay range: $53, 501 – $97, 916
Loudoun Water, a public utility with a vision for the future is seeking a highly motivated, forward thinking Instrumentation Control Specialist with design and problem-solving skills ready to assist in bringing a unique vision of data visualization and situational awareness to the water industry.
Our Specialists develop and implement industrial control system applications for Supervisory, Control, and Data Acquisition (SCADA), building automation, and process control. Successful candidates will possess graphics development, alarm management, data analytics, and systems integration experience. Familiarity with Autodesk products, ICS software (Wonderware, ICONICS, FactoryTalk Studio, iFix, WinCC), OPC UA, network management, and cyber security are a plus.
We offer highly competitive salaries, a stable work environment and excellent employee benefits.
Requirements: Minimum two years of college-level coursework computer control systems and networking; with three years progressive experience in industrial control systems; preferably in water distribution and sewer utility operations. Individuals with extensive utility experience associated with SCADA systems and process control programming in water distribution and sewer utility operations are highly desired. Must be able to demonstrate proficiency with SCADA applications and/or PLC’s. Ability to work “on-call” status and/or overtime as needed.
Apply online at www.loudounwater.org or send completed applications to Loudoun Water, HR Department, PO Box 4000, Ashburn, VA 20146 or by fax to 571.223.2079. Salary DOQ. Position will remain open until filled. EOE
Loudoun Water, located in Ashburn VA is a public utility that provides water and wastewater service to customers in Loudoun County. We offer highly competitive salaries, a stable work environment and excellent employee benefits!
We are seeking a Maintenance Mechanic who will assist in ensuring that the Water Reclamation Facility (Wastewater) is consistently operational by performing a variety of responsible and skilled tasks in the operation, installation, and maintenance of the facilities mechanical and distribution systems. Perform semi skilled preventive and corrective maintenance on the facilities mechanical systems including, but not limited to solids handling, process piping, air compressors, valves, carpentry, welding, and painting. Must be able to complete work orders daily in are work management system (SAP).
Requirements: Graduation from high school and three (3) years experience in a mechanical maintenance field.
Apply online at www.loudounwater.org or send completed applications to Loudoun Water, HR Department, P.O Box 4000, Ashburn, VA 20146 or by fax to 571.223.2079. Salary DOQ. Position will remain open until filled. EOE